1) Could you tell us a bit about yourself.
I have three cats. I have a big collection of “maps to places that never were:” a map of Middle Earth, a map of Sherlock Holmes’ flat in Baker Street, a map of Narnia, a reproduction of the Time Bandits map.
2) What was the inspiration for writing The Mortal Instruments?
I wanted to write something that would combine elements of traditional high fantasy — an epic battle between good and evil, terrible monsters, brave heroes, enchanted swords — and recast it through a modern, urban lens. So you have the Shadowhunters, who are these very classic warriors following their millennia-old traditions, but in these urban, modern spaces: skyscrapers, warehouses, abandoned hotels, rock concerts. In fairy tales, it was the dark and mysterious forest outside the town that held the magic and danger. I wanted to create a world where the city has become the forest — where these urban spaces hold their own enchantments, danger, mysteries and strange beauty. It’s just that only the Shadowhunters can see them as they really are.
3) Were there any personal experiences that went in to writing The Mortal Instruments?
Certainly living in New York City informed my writing process, but fortunately I've never been attacked by demons!
4) Was Chary's character based on anyone or was she a purely made up character?
Clary Fray is named after two friends of mine, but she's a made up character.
5) What was your inspiration in the cover art for the MI Series?
I didn't have anything to do with the design!
10 Fun Facts:
1) Favorite color?
2) Favorite Food?
3) Favorite song right now?
Poison & Wine by the Civil Wars
4) Favorite Movie?
5) Favorite Book?
Pride & Prejudice
6) Favorite author?
7) Favorite place to write?
I like to write in coffee shops with friends
8) Somewhere you have always wanted to go?
9) Dream cast for City of Bones movie?
10) If you were to write another series, what would it be about?
The next one will be another Shadowhunter series, set in Los Angeles five years after the events of the Mortal Instruments take place. It's titled the Dark Artifices.