Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Hunger Games By, Suzanne Collins

Suzanne Collins
Paperback, 374 pages
Scholastic inc.
October 1, 2008


“Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true, here is the place where I love you.” 

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


***************

I struggled whether or not to review this book. Not because it was unworthy of a review but for the fact that many have already read it. But I was unable to resist. When a book like this one comes along, I feel there are not enough times you can hear about it. To sum up The Hunger Games in one word: Unforgettable. I fell in love with this book and still to this day it is in my thoughts. 


I bought The Hunger Games on a whim. I had heard it was a good read and had every intention of reading it. There it sat on my book shelf for the better part of a year until I finally decided to give it a try once I saw the movie trailer.  I guess you could say I still am kicking myself for waiting so long. Every so often you come across a book that truly changes your outlook on the world. This one did it for me and I am not sure if I will ever get over the haunting images that are scorched in my brain from this book.


The Characters in The Hunger Games are among my absolute favorite. From their truly original names that I loved, to the unbelievable pull I felt to each and every character, I can truly say every character in this book has a place in my heart. Kitness is by far my favorite heroine. She is the strongest character I have ever seen and I loved living through this book through her eyes. Peeta is one of those characters that grew on me. In the beginning he didn't have that much pull with me and at times I was weary of him. Not knowing if he was one to trust.  But as time when went on I feel for him as so many others have. 


The entire plot of The Hunger Games was so original that I never know what was coming and was surprised constantly as the story progressed. Let me warn you, The Hunger Games is not a book for the faint of heart. It was not a fell good type of book with a worm and fuzzy romance at the core. This book did have a grotesque plot and in all honesty it was one of the things I loved about it. Collins was not afraid to go into detail of the gory parts in this book. She gave you a true horror story. Everything about this book was so unique and it had a raw undertone that I absolutely loved.


The Hunger Games was by far my favorite book of the year. I give it 5+ Hoots and if I had a higher grading scale I would give it more. If you have not read this series I urge you to go pick it up...now! Don't be afraid if its not exactly in your comfort zone of reading style. This book will change your life and I will warn you, It's going to consume your life for a bit. 




  

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit