Monday, May 17, 2010

Review: Beautiful Creatures

Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Hardcover, 576 pages
Little Brown & Company
December 01, 2009


"I never loved you any more than I do, right this second. And I'll never love you any less than I do, right this second."

There were no suprises in Gatlin County We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere. At least, that's what I thought. Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave. Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.(Borders.com)


**************

Beautiful Creatures was something I had been looking forward to for a few months before it came out. On Dec. 1st I rushed out and bought it. I must say it was a very good book. I thought that because it was written by two authors, it may be a little choppy. But it turns out I couldn't tell at all. Garcia and Stohl did a great job with keeping there thoughts as one.

Ethan was the main character and I was glad to see a male as the lead. It was different but I really liked the way he told his story. Ethan lives in Gatlin, which is a little town in the South. The book gave me a little history lesson about the War of Northern Aggression, which I liked. It almost was like two stories molded together to make one great book.

Lena was a very interesting character. She really didn't want anything to do with Ethan. I found that refreshing, It was a nice twist. She also had a very interesting family that made the story real. Macon Ravenwood, Lena uncle was a important character in his own, and learning his past and waiting for it to unravel really drew me into the story.

There were a few slow parts of the book. The Doomed-relationship concept was emphasized a bit to much, but all in all the authors did a good job of giving you that sense of forbidden love feeling.

Overall Beautiful Creatures gets 4+ Hoots. I have to say this was a very good book and I will be looking forward to the next book in the series and how the story evolves.

2 comments:

Steph said...

good book!

bookish wonders said...

This book sounds amazing. I was too read it so bad. :D
Exactly review :D

Post a Comment

Love to know what you think!!!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit