Saturday, May 7, 2011

Review: The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Kelley Armstrong
Hardcover, 359 pages
Harper Collins, New York
April 12th 2011


Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The GatheringNew York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy. 



*********************

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors, so when I found out she was starting a new series I was thrilled. She is the type of author who sucks you into a book and wont let go until the very last page. 

The Gathering is the first book in the Darkness Rising trilogy. Maya, the main character is just an ordinary girl, living in a very small town. She is a very likable character, she is smart and sweet. But Maya also is a very strong girl, she doesn't let people push her around or get to close. I love the fact that she really has a sense of who she is. She is the type of main character who you can really follow.

Her best friend Daniel is the big brother type of guy that you cant help but fall in love with. He is sweet and very protective of Maya. He has a good sense of humor and will stand up for what he knows is right. I absolutely love Daniel. He is someone you wish to have as your best friend. He is always by Maya's side and is always there when she has to deal with the hard stuff.

Rafe, the bad boy from out of town is Maya's new crush. She always thought he was the school's player, but now he is showing her a new side to him. As their relationship progresses, Maya seems skeptical of the way Rafe is acting. She learns that things are not what they seem. I liked Rafe well enough, he has the bad boy thing going for him but he just seems a bit played out to me. I feel like the bad boy who has a softer side and a secret thing is a bit over played. But all in all he is an OK character.... I really like Daniel :)

Overall The Gathering was a good first in a trilogy book. I liked the fact it gave you a solid back story and gave you time to get to know the characters. I feel that things could have moved a bit faster but all in all I feel it will make the other books in the trilogy better. A good connection with the characters is important and I do like when an author takes the time to establish them. I also have to had that this book has a major cliff hanger ending. I finished the last page and flipped to the next expecting a new chapter to began. I dont hate cliff-hangers but it just makes it 10 times harder to wait for the next book.

I give The Gathering a 4+. It had very likable characters, a well written plot and an interesting story. I am very excited to read The Calling, The second book in the Darkness Rising Trilogy, coming in April 2012. I also hear that she might merge The Darkest Powers and The Darkness Rising Trilogy's together which is very exciting. If you love Kelley Armstrong as much as I do, I say, you should really pick up The Gathering. It is sure to be a very exciting story!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit