Sunday, June 5, 2011

Author Spotlight: Marianne De Pierres Author of Burn Bright

Please Welcome
Marianne de Pierres
Author of
Burn Bright 


1) Could you tell us a bit about yourself.

I was born and grew up on a wheat and sheep farm in Western Australia. As the youngest by quite along way, I was left on my own a lot to read books, dream and run wild. Adolescence was rough when I was wrenched from my lovely cocoon and sent to boarding school. I started writing at an early age (eight) but didn’t really knuckle down to it until I was about 30. Since then I’ve worked hard to become a better writer. In my leisure time I love sport and reading and TV.

2) What was the inspiration for writing Burn Bright?

I’ve always been interested in the idea freedom versus rules and regulations. And I’m fascinated with nocturnal creatures. The two things kind of collided and Burn Bright was their baby!


3) Were there any personal experiences that went in to writing Burn Bright?

I think as a young girl I experienced minor forms of oppression and those things came out in the writing of the book. As a teenager you can feel very disempowered and Retra’s journey helped put some things to rest for me. As the writer, I was cheering for her (the character) to get strong and more confident.

4) Was Retra's character based on anyone or were they purely made up character? What is she like?

Retra is a purely fictional character. She’s a girl who’s had little life experience and has been terribly sheltered. Going to Ixion is the beginning of her discovering herself and the world. She’s shy but smart and she’s very loyal.

5) What was your inspiration in the cover art for Burn Bright?

That was my publisher’s inspiration. We knew we wanted something really special, and someone at Random House had see Jaroslaw Kubicki’s work. Once you’ve read the book you’ll understand that it’s a perfect fit. I think he is an inspirational artist.

6) Do you plan to have Burn Bright as a stand alone novel or part of a series?

It’s part of a series called The Night Creatures trilogy. Book two, Angel Arias, will be out later this year. And book three, Blaze Dark, will be available next year.

7) Do you write to music? If so, what is your favorite?

Funnily enough, I can’t. I love music too much and find it too distracting while I write. However I listened to Yunyu’s song (http://www.burnbright.com.au/the-music/) so many times during the time I was writing Burn Bright, that I think of that as my soundtrack.





8) What do you plan on doing in the future?

Well, I have book three still to write. I also have an idea for a book written about which I call Emo Traders which will be my next young adult proposal. Can’t tell you too much yet ,but it’s a neat and scary idea. Watch the website www.burnbright.com.au for updates.

9) What are you reading right now?

I’m reading a lot of crime novels at the moment. It seems to suit my mood.

10) Who are a few of your favorite authors?

In YA: Melissa Marr and Isobelle Carmody.
In SF: Ian McDonald, Jon Courtenay Grimwood and Nancy Kress
In Crime: Stuart MacBride and Michael Connelly
In Paranormal Fantasy: Patricia Briggs, Diana Pharoah Francis, Kat Richardson



Where to find Marianne:
Twitter
Website
Facebook
Goodreads
 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit