Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review: Wolfsbane By Andrea Creamer

Andrea Creamer
Hardcover, 390 pages
Penguin YA Group
July 26th 2011

“It took less than a second for me to shift and leap onto his desk, snarling. My fangs snapped inches from his face. Silas yelped, tipping his chair over backward, and rolled across the floor...
I glared at Silas, who was brandishing a letter opener at me.
"You do know she's not a werewolf, right?" Shay smirked at the Scribe. "That silver thing's not gonna be worth much." 


When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. 


Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? 
Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.


****************

Wolfsbane is the second installment in the Nightshade series and I really enjoyed this book. We enter Wolfsbane right where we left off in Nightshade. Calla and Shay are in hands of the Searchers. When Calla wakes up after being attacked by the searchers on the night of her union with Ren she doesn't know what to expect, but she would never expect that the Searchers want her help. With a chance to save her pack and possibly get rid of the Keepers for good, Calla only has one choice.. She must work together with the people who she thought were her enemy's. 

I really liked the introduction of a few new characters in Wolfsbane. Here we meet a few of the Searchers, 
Connor, the sarcastic and slightly perverted Searcher who I love.. He had me laughing at multiple points in the book.  Adne, who is a Weaver for the Searchers and has a strong personality herself. I really liked that she was not afraid to speak her mind. She is young but is not afraid to stand up for herself and tell it like it is. 

As Calla tries to wrap her head around who the Searchers really are and if she can trust them she learns a lot about the history and the fact that The Keepers have been lying about more then she could have dreamed.  There is a very big back story in this book about the Keepers and the Searchers. Creamer gives us a lot to absorb.  I did enjoy learning a bit more about the past of Calla's world but at times it was a bit much. I tended to want to skip a bit of the history and get back to the action of the book. And Action there was. 

Calla has to return to her home town of Vail to try to locate her pack. But that is way easier said then done.  She and a few of the Searchers who make up her team are faced with Guardians who have turned agents her and Keepers who want her dead. 

Calla seemed to get on my nerves a bit in this book. In Nightshade she was a strong Alpha leader who would do anything for her pack. Now she has abandoned her pack for Shay ( who I have never liked). She does try to go back and make it right but In the beginning of this series I never thought that she was the selfish type. I really was a bit disappointed  in her choices. And then there is Shay, still getting on my nerves. I just cant see what Calla sees in him. In Wolfsbane he comes off as controlling and still lacking personality. There was also not enough Ren in this one. I really missed him in this book and the little that we got of him was not enough. 

All in all I give Wolfsbane 4 Hoots. I really enjoyed the action of this book and the introduction of the new characters. The story line was fast pace and had plenty of surprising twists. I do have to say that the ending almost killed me. It was very cut off and I probably would have liked the book less if I was not saved by the first chapter of Boodrose that is offered HERE. I cant wait to read the third book in the Nightshade series when it comes out January 3rd, 2012. As a whole I did like Wolfsbane quite a bit. I wish the main characters were a bit more likable but it is a good story that I would recommend to readers who enjoy YA paranormal books!    



 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit