Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review: Darkness Becomes Her By, Kelly Keaton

Kelly Keaton
Hardcover, 273 Pages
Simon Pulse
Feburary, 22 2011

“I glanced up into round black eyes, ringed in yellow, but in some small part I saw humanity there. Sadness. It blinked. "Made," it said quietly, almost ashamed.”

A dark and lush paranormal romance set in a richly reimagined New Orleans—now in paperback!Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers a message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
*****************

Darkness Becomes Her is a unique Paranormal read. Filled with Supernatural elements, a rotting city and a mix of memorable characters that will find there way into your heart. 

Ari is a seventeen year old girl who has been tossed around foster homes for most of her childhood. She has decided to go to the Rocquemore House to get answers about her mother. While there she learns that her mother committed suicide shortly after her birth. Now all she has is a box of her mothers old things and a letter that says "Run". With no answers and no where to go Ari decides to go to the only place she can think of, New 2, The ruined city that used to be New Orleans before 2 massive hurricanes devastated the city. Now Ari must find out the secret to who, and what she is.

Ari is a fantastic character. She is a strong heroine, which is sometimes hard to find. She knows how to take care of herself and will go to any length to find out the truth. I  will warn you, Ari has a bit of a diverse vocabulary. There are quite a bit of profanity in this book. But aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed Ari's narration throughout this book. 

Darkness Becomes Her also offers a few very likable characters. Crank, who brings Ari in to New 2 is a little rough around the edges and Violet the little girl with the fangs who hides behind masks. I really liked Violet. She was very shy and awkward but she was a very interesting character to read about and I definitively liked her. I really hope to read more about her in books to come. Then there is Sebastian, Ari's love interest.  Sebastian is totally swoon-worthy. He and Ari are immediately drawn to each other, and I mean immediately. The relationship feels a bit rushed and I do feel that it was one of the few negative points to this book. Both characters seemed very guarded and  I feel it was a bit uncharacteristic for both of them to rush in to such a hot and heavy relationship.

Darkness Becomes Her was one of the most original stories I have read in quite some time. The mix of Witches, Vampires and Greek Gods was one both original and unexpected. There are quite a few twists and turns in this book and it definitely kept me on my toes.

Overall Darkness Becomes Her was a fast pace read with memorable characters and a unique story line. I give it 4 Hoots. I really enjoyed this book. I loved the way Kelly Keaton was able to describe the world through Ari's eyes. I almost felt like I was there, and I loved that. I do wish the book was a bit longer and the relationships were a bit more realistic. I did feel a bit rushed. But all in all it was a good book and I feel it would be liked among readers who enjoy Paranormal books. 


  

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit