Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Mockingjay By Suzanne Collins

Suzanne Collins
Hardcover, 390 pages
Scholastic Press
August 24, 2010

“You love me. Real or not real?" 
I tell him, "Real.”


Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.


************

Mockingjay the final installment in The Hunger Games Trilogy was nothing short of breathtaking.  There was a huge mark to live up to in the final book and I believe Collins did beautifully. I must say I cried for about 75% of this book and for an hour afterwords. I am still unable to get this book off my mind and must say it is one of my favorite series of all time. 

Although I was unhappy with a few choices Collins made plot wise I very much enjoyed reading every page of this book. I had my heart ripped out a number of times and I could see why some readers did not enjoy this book as much as the others. Even though I was unhappy with parts of this book, I feel it made it all the more real. Life isn't always fare, and sometimes we don't get the fairy-tale ending. I really enjoyed that Collins gave us a book that was not all about pleasing the readers. It was real and it was raw. 

The characters in this book will live with me forever. I loved each and every one for there uniqueness. I wish we could have a spin off for each of them, I just couldn't get enough. With each turn of a page I was afraid for them and felt helpless in their struggles. I loved that through each book the characters grew and were still able to surprise me. I repeatedly got my heart torn out and was trying not to mess up the pages of my book with tears. 

Mockingjay was such an unbelievably heart-wrenching read and I loved every minute of it. This series has changed the way I look at literature. Suzanne Collins is not afraid to go where no one has gone before and has come out with a trilogy that I will truly cherish. I give Mockingjay 5+ Hoots for being an amazing book and a fantastic finale to a truly horrifying and beautiful world. 

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Irene Alexeeva's All Unique Things Kit